Some apparently establish the prime law in their initial attempt, in 2009, Robin Murphy (Texas A&M) and David D. Woods (Ohio State) proposed "The Three Laws of Responsible Robotics"
The laws are as follows:
- A human may not deploy a robot without the human-robot work system meeting the highest legal and professional standards of safety and ethics.
- A robot must respond to humans as appropriate for their roles.
- A robot must be endowed with sufficient situated autonomy to protect its own existence as long as such protection provides smooth transfer of control which does not conflict with the First and Second Laws.
- Surviving in a Hostile World
- The Need to Trust
- Identity, Management, and Federation
- Access to Data